No Stress on De-stress Trip to Kefalonia



So the morning after I finished, the youngest (who had also just completed her A' levels), Mister E and I all got up at an incredible hour, arriving at Newcastle airport for 5 a.m. At 6.50 a.m we were on the runway bound for Kefalonia.

It's a long-time since I have been to Greece. I have holidayed there 3 or 4 times, in addition to going island-hopping back in 1979 when, along with the rest of Europe's student population I slept out on beaches for 6 weeks.

Anyway, I had forgotten just how beautiful, plain and easy life is there. Kefalonia is truly scenic, surprisingly verdant with trees and shrubs in bloom along with hosts of pelargoniums. The views to the mainland and neighbouring islands across the blue-water are magnificent as is the cloudless blue sky.

Tavernas are friendly and plentiful and, olives apart, I adore the simplicity of Greek food.

It was a week to relax and recuperate. What a difference, however, in the enjoyment derived from a holiday when you are not in an anxious state over office files. Yes there were inevitable moments when I awoke during the night and thought about work; you don't overcome the habits of over three decades simply by flying to the other end of Europe.

The important thing is that I learned to shrug my shoulders, recognise that it's no longer something I should be concerned about and go back to sleep.

The youngest is scared that I might start to fret about other things, amongst which lost keys and specs are only a minor irritation. Obviously there is a fair degree of self interest in her concern as she doesn't want me taking on the mantle of nervous parent, overdoing the anxiety for results day or even her whereabouts if she doesn't reply immediately to a text message.

I guess it might be easy to replace one form of stress with another but that is definitely not the idea. Caree is living in the moment and enjoying not burning adrenalin over it!


Comments

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

The Danger Zone

Exhaustion

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From Out of the Rabbit Hole

Exhaustion

Enough

Boots and Balance

Late, Even in Retirement

Abbatar

Sort Your Life Out

A Reprieve

Good Riddance

Thank You but..