That Ongoing but Elusive Quest




Aware of my penchant for mixing exercise with food (the only justification I can find for eating more), I realise that I have overlooked telling you about my day out with an old friend last week. With all the snow and rain we've been inundated with recently, we agreed to meet at Fountains Abbey near to Ripon believing that it would get us outdoors but provide some alternatives in the event of extreme weather.


In the end it turned out to be a dry if chilly day. However, any hope of following the footpath into Ripon itself disappeared in a quagmire beneath our feet. Instead we returned and then stuck to the purposefully constructed paths around the estate. Whilst not flat, the ascents are so insignificant that there is no risk of breathlessness intervening to impede non-stop chatter.

It was a perfect choice and on this occasion not only was there a cafe to finish our walk in but also another for a pre-stroll coffee and cake.


Yes, when I mused on walking my way to fitness in the early days of this blog, I forgot about the refreshment breaks. No wonder 3 years and 9 months into retirement that I continue to wear out the soles of my feet on what seems to be an elusive quest. Still I can thoroughly recommend the National Trust's scones and flapjack.

 

Comments

Jane said…
On my first walking trip in the Cotswold area I discovered flapjacks in a tiny cafe in Naunton. Absolute heaven! I tend to walk more also to justify eating more. I don't think I quite have the correct ratio yet.
Caree Risover said…
I'm no good at the maths either

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

The Danger Zone

Exhaustion

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

Enough

From Out of the Rabbit Hole

Sort Your Life Out

Boots and Balance

Exhaustion

Abbatar

Late, Even in Retirement

Keeping the Faith