So Where Did the Summer Go?




Did I blink and miss it or was it all the recent travelling? Either way, I can hardly believe it is now Autumn and the second half of September. Moreover, and whilst walking in the Lake District today, we spotted holly with red berries all ready for decking out the halls. No Indian summer this year I guess and at least we'll hopefully get to do a proper garden clear up with plants dying off before the weather turns too cold, perhaps.

In the meantime and in advance of turning our attention to leaves and branches, the passionate culling of extraneous stuff within as opposed to outside our home has continued, alongside the rejection of both plastic and added sugar. 


For instance after months of tripping over a box full of camera equipment strategically placed on the floor, I was determined to create shelf space for it in a cupboard stoved off with a combination of knitting wool, craft materials, DIY tools and, just to add to the mixture, board games, many of which have lain there unused for 15 years or more.  In dramatic fashion, not only, therefore, did I empty the cupboard but I also repainted it. Making it look like a completely new area (how easily a new colour scheme can fool) somehow made it easier to rearrange the contents and throw the excess away. In fact we have done such a good job that not only has my reputation for tidying cupboards reached new heights, but the top shelf remains unfilled, although that may just be a matter of timing.


As the intensity of decluttering, physically and mentally, increases, I have begun to realise that its meaning goes beyond tidying up and letting go. What seemed at first to be a sensible clear-out of old, unused  stuff is actually so much more. In retirement we are finally making the time to rid ourselves of extraneous trivia built up over decades in an instinctive anticipation that, once liberated, we shall be able to enjoy the important things in our lives instead. The clear aim is now to live not only more simply but also more purposefully. I just sometimes need direction!



Comments

Jane said…
So far my efforts at decluttering have taken place mostly in my bedroom. I hang a plastic bag on my closet door and add clothing I no longer need or want. If I didn't wear it this summer then I likely won't wear it next summer. Once full I ride my bike to the local thrift shop and drop it off. So far I've taken over 4 bags. IT's a start. Meanwhile summer continues here in SW Ontario with new high temperature records being broken left and right. I visited the nearby beach yesterday and it was the busiest day of the whole season. Crazy.
Anonymous said…
Decluttering is a focus of ours also. Not only are we able to get rid of a bunch of stuff we no longer want, the house just feels better without extra padding. We have a few empty cabinets and shelves, and we hope to keep them that way. Good luck with your efforts!
Tracy Altieri said…
We have definitely had an Indian Summer here, with temperatures reaching 90 yesterday, and an expected 85 today. Fall is my favorite time of year, and I am feeling cheated out of those clear, crisp days.

Our progress on sorting and ridding of stuff has slowed a bit as other life activities have taken up time. We have resigned ourselves to the fact that some things will not be accomplished until after we return from our winter south. Actually, we both feel some relief having given ourselves permission to not get everything done "right now".
Maddy said…
That is one wonderful looking cupboard - I am almost tempted to start my own decluttering, except that I'm trying to decide whether to tidy the cupboard or actually get rid of it altogether because it only encourages me to keep stuff.
We are heading into the summer here - after a couple of hot days I am thinking of getting rid of some of that winter clothing.
Caree Risover said…
It's always in the Spring that I generally feel the most motivated to start clearing. Good luck with starting your decluttering.
Caree Risover said…
Wise advice indeed to take a break from what can seem like a never ending task
Caree Risover said…
Yes, I always used to think that if I had a shelf it was there to be filled. Now in retirement I am desperately trying to empty them and, when I do, I can't help feeling they look better that way.
Caree Risover said…
That's a good rule of thumb, Jane, but one that I have always found hard to apply (hence my wardrobe of worksuits, for the most part unworn since 2014). Resolution to self: must try harder.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

Exhaustion

The Danger Zone

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

From the Post

Great British Bake Off

Grateful for a Good Week

Old Fogeys up t'Dale

Planning for the Big Day

Fatigued

The 3 x 60 Challenge

A Lifesaver