Leaping Forward



In the twilight of my working years, I began to accumulate a list of jobs that I thought I would leave until retirement. Obviously there were the mega tasks like decorating but there were also any number of simple chores and whilst, in an initial wave of enthusiasm, I may have cleaned the iron and screwed a wobbly handle or two back on, I confess that, almost three years on, for the most part the list remains to be tackled. 

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom," (per Shirley Conran) remains my mantra even on Planet Retirement.

However, today I notched up a significant success. I kid you not but for the first time in a decade, I finally cleaned, sorted and tidied the airing cupboard. Moreover OCD got the better of me and I bagged and labelled duvets, pillows, and bed linen not used on a daily  basis. In the course of an afternoon, the cupboard went from chaotic muddle to methodical order.

One small step indeed but it really does represent a giant leap forward. In my quest for simplification, it helps to know what towels and bedsheets you have and where exactly they are. Playing hunt the pillow case could make an entertaining party game but eliminating the need to dig for buried duvet covers is, I assure you, joy itself.

 

Comments

Maddy said…
I am proud of you! But I have been reading your blog and I know you do lots of interesting things especially travelling, so making the airing cupboard a priority could not have been easy . . .
Jane said…
Feels good doesn't it? I enjoy that feeling so much I've cleaned out and sorted my linen closet several times over the past few years since retirement. Unfortunately I have a daughter who rams things in any which way so it never stays sorted for very long.
Caree Risover said…
How right you are
Caree Risover said…
Yes, it's hard to say which will last the longer: the feeling of euphoria or the neat piles of towels
Tracy Altieri said…
I am nearly six years on in my retirement, and on the eve of an enormous downsizing. We sold our large home last spring, played around with various replacement options after having put everything into storage, lived in a variety of homes (friends, rented, our Florida condo) and are now ready to to into one half of a duplex in May. From five bedrooms, many bathrooms, full basement and attic - to two bedrooms, no basement no attic. I am going to have no choice but to get rid of and get organized. I'll let you know how it goes!
Caree Risover said…
Good luck and yes please share your tips.

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

The Danger Zone

Exhaustion

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From Out of the Rabbit Hole

Exhaustion

Enough

Boots and Balance

Late, Even in Retirement

Abbatar

Sort Your Life Out

A Reprieve

Technophobia

Great British Bake Off