INTRODUCTION


There seems to be a scarcity of UK retirement blogs out there (other than those proffering financial advice) and in the absence of my being able to read about other people's experiences, I instead offer you my own "Great Big Retirement Adventure."

My husband (Mister E) and I have moved from the initial concept through the planning stages to implementation and this site is intended to record the whole process. What I am seeking from retirement is now very different to what I thought I was planning and has gradually developed into a quest for fitness and a desire for simplification, with a transition away from both a highly organised lifestyle and the personality traits reflecting a pedantic professional career. Indeed I recently described myself as "a goofy idiot" who enjoys smiling at sunflowers; a far cry from the pre-retirement professional and an indication of just how far I have travelled.

Please visit from time to time and do add your comments. The blog is in reverse chronological order but popular posts and those highlighting our journey are specifically pinpointed below on the right hand side together with a list of topics covered. Alternatively you may prefer to look at the summary or wisdom we have acquired or even our have done list with its retirement atlas and dip in and out of the blog using the links given.




Friday, 6 March 2015

The Serious Business of Comedy


Mister E and I went to the ARC in Stockton on Tees last night to be entertained by Andy Parsons. At one point when he began to describe the conundrum that is life, I thought that he may have put his routine together especially for us.

He maintained that there are three facets to enjoying life, namely: money, time and health. He submitted, however, that regrettably there never seems to be a stage of life when we have all three. At that point he honed in to emphasise that, whilst in retirement people may have a bit more money than earlier in their lives and oodles of time, their bodies are spent! 

Wow - such serious stuff that there I was, in the middle of a comedian's show, seriously thinking about the work-out I must do at the gym the following morning.



2 comments:

  1. Money, time, and health; works for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too feel blessed to have maintained my health and hopefully, therefore, be able to enjoy the time retirement now provides with the money saved from all those years at work

      Delete