A Good Read



During these short dark days of November, I have discovered that very little beats snuggling up on the sofa with a blanket and a good book.

I know there are people who make a point at work of putting their feet on the desk at lunchtime and opening up a paperback. It was something, however, that I could never do, preferring either a blast of fresh air or alternatively (and regrettably far more likely) to continue working with the aim of finishing at a reasonable hour.

Fortunately some ten years ago, I was involved in the formation of a Village Reading Group. It has proved to be my salvation in that I have been compelled to read at least one book every six weeks so as to join in the discussion as to its literary merits and, at the same time, enjoy the convivial company of a group of keen readers and their hospitality, as we meet in each other's homes on a rotational basis.

Yesterday evening was our scheduled meeting and, despite retirement, I still only started the book (All in One Basket by the late Duchess of Devonshire) on Sunday afternoon. It comprises of a variety of what are essentially "cuttings" of various articles that she penned for magazines or newspapers or alternatively speeches that she gave. Whilst eminently readable and full of dry wit and an acerbic humour, it was still somewhat tedious to sit down and try to digest them in one go. 

So again, yesterday lunchtime, I snatched another two hours on that sofa until other pursuits distracted me. However, and with a matter of only three hours to go, I was essentially saved by a queue at the Medical Centre. I know that GPs are coming in for a certain degree of criticism lately but we benefit from a wonderful rural practice where all the staff know you and are friendly and, except for three evenings a week, every surgery is operated by the doctors on a "drop in, no appointment required" basis. 

From the queue I encountered 10 minutes before the first consultation, I could only assume that everyone waiting had taken their places up to an hour before. It was a mad situation and the noise was churned out at high volume with acquaintances and friends greeting each other, neighbours chatting, children playing with toys and performing for a ready made audience and then, every now and again, a doctor or the practice nurse calling out for a patient to join them in a consulting room.

Nonetheless a chair in the corner beckoned and although it wasn't quite my sofa, I settled down and finished the book just before my turn to see the doctor. Back in my pre-retirement days, I would never have had the foresight to have taken the book with me or patience to have read it in a crowded waiting room. Best of all two of the staff in the dispensing pharmacy attached to the practice had read it too, so I even managed to explore a few ideas and criticisms ready for the Group meeting.

Hopefully as the days shorten still more, I can increase the number of books I am reading and maybe even finish them without a trip to the doctor.



Comments

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

The Danger Zone

Exhaustion

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

Enough

Sort Your Life Out

Boots and Balance

Exhaustion

From Out of the Rabbit Hole

Late, Even in Retirement

Keeping the Faith

Happy Easter