Domestic Engineering

One of the hardest things for me in the transition from professional life to that of a retiree is that I am really rather unqualified and unaccomplished for my present status. 

After thirty years in an occupation that I had trained hard for,  I brought a wealth of experience to my position and had matured into something of an old hand to whom others looked for guidance.

My new role is harder. Obviously I can undertake domestic chores and whilst the outcome is generally satisfactory, I would struggle to declare  my cooking, needlework or DIY skills as perfect.

Similarly I am hardly an expert at any of the hobbies that I am working on and am heavily reliant on the expertise of others. I am conscious that I need practice, but at this stage of life it is hard to accept that I have moved from doing a job well to a situation where I am little better than a novice. Indeed it reminds me of a time a few years ago when, although a competent downhill skier, I tried cross-country skis for the first time and spent the afternoon on my bottom, albeit in fits of giggles. That's how retirement presently feels; it's great fun, but I'm not very good at it.

Mister E on the other hand has probably come to retirement better trained than most in the art of domesticity. He is a chemical engineer and it seems that even basic cookery excels with a knowledge of chemistry, whilst and in addition he understands how the plumbing, electrics, ironing board erection and even a simple cat flap work.

Totally shamed, I'm now wondering if I too need an engineering qualification.


Comments

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

The Danger Zone

Exhaustion

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From Out of the Rabbit Hole

Exhaustion

Enough

Boots and Balance

Late, Even in Retirement

Abbatar

Sort Your Life Out

A Reprieve

Technophobia

Great British Bake Off