Valediction

Plans proceed apace by my colleagues as they conspire to provide me with a farewell party. Sometimes I am taken into their confidences, on other occasions I am left in the dark.

I attended a valediction ceremony in a court room the other lunchtime. It was full of the legal profession in gowns and wigs as they gathered to enunciate and share their memories of a dear friend of mine who also happened to be a Judge. The proceedings were formal with speeches on behalf of the judges, the bar and the solicitors; the atmosphere less so, as amusing anecdotes were shared, each speaker seeking to outdo the next. Finally the retiree himself spoke and in time-honoured fashion gave an anecdote or two himself and thanked everyone for being there.

I don't think the event my work colleagues are planning will be anything like as formal. At least I hope not. As for making a speech.. Well I just keep telling them corpses don't speak at their own funerals, even if it is a wake!


Comments

Most Popular Posts of All Time

The 3 x 60 Challenge

All Aboard for Pampering

A Full Service

Late, Even in Retirement

A Reprieve

One a Day

The Danger Zone

Exhaustion

Business Networking in Retirement

Not Only But Also

Popular Posts in last 30 days

From the Post

A Whinge and a Moan

Calamity After Calamity

Three Leaks and a Garage Door

Enough

The 3 x 60 Challenge

Sort Your Life Out

A Lifesaver

Happy New Me

Good Riddance